What Are The Characteristics of a Great Manager?
The 10 Oxygen behaviors of Google's best managers (behaviors 3 and 6 have been updated and behaviors 9 and 10 are new):
- Is a good coach
- Empowers team and does not micromanage
- Creates an inclusive team environment, showing concern for success and well-being
- Is productive and results-oriented
- Is a good communicator — listens and shares information
- Supports career development and discusses performance
- Has a clear vision/strategy for the team
- Has key technical skills to help advise the team
- Collaborates across Google
- Is a strong decision maker
Want to Know More?
- https://rework.withgoogle.com/blog/the-evolution-of-project-oxygen/: Original research information at Google's reWork site.
- https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2018/08/30/best-managers-google/: Forbes article based on Google's “Project Oxygen” research where researchers wanted to understand what makes a manager great at Google. Note the context is “at Google”.
- Part of a series:
/home/hpsamios/hanssamios.com/dokuwiki/data/pages/what_are_the_characteristics_of_a_great_manager.txt · Last modified: 2020/06/04 12:10 by hans