What are the Steps in a Value Stream Identification Workshop?
The purpose the Value Stream Identification workshop is to identify the operational (customers view of how we deliver value) and development value streams (the systems and people supporting the operational value stream) of our organization so we can identify the ARTs we need to set up to optimize the delivery of value. The Value Stream Identification usually involves senior people in an organization such as the VP of development, the VP of product, VP of operations, senior architects, and HR people. These are people who are typically responsible multiple Solutions in a large organization. The typical steps involved in a VSID workshop are:
- Identify the Operational Value Streams. These are triggered by a customer event and completed by the delivery of value to the customer.
- Identify the Solutions the Operational Value Streams use or provide to customers. These are the internal systems and tools we use as an organization to support the Operational Value Streams.
- Identify the people who develop and support the Solutions. These are typically large systems, and large organizations.
- Identify the Development Value Streams that build the Solutions. Group the Solutions and people into Development Value Streams.
- Realize Development Value Streams into ARTs. Group people into sets of 50-125 people with all the skills necessary to deliver via the Development Value Streams.