Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
what_does_a_scrum_master_do_all_day [2018/06/28 14:30]
Hans Samios [Want To Know More?] Added role of SM?
what_does_a_scrum_master_do_all_day [2019/07/03 10:59] (current)
Hans Samios Added revenue to small incremental changes note
Line 29: Line 29:
 Both of these roles of the Scrum Master, done well, have a multiplier effect on the productivity of the team. Imagine that through the efforts of a Scrum Master in removing a particular impediment to the team (say got the hardware for the new test environment) or as a result of coaching (helped establish pair programming in the team) meant that there is a 1% improvement in the ability of the team to deliver value. Here's the thing - that 1% is cumulative. Any time there is similar work, that 1% accrues and accrues. Now lets find another improvement. Another 1/2% improvement. Now it accrues as well.  Both of these roles of the Scrum Master, done well, have a multiplier effect on the productivity of the team. Imagine that through the efforts of a Scrum Master in removing a particular impediment to the team (say got the hardware for the new test environment) or as a result of coaching (helped establish pair programming in the team) meant that there is a 1% improvement in the ability of the team to deliver value. Here's the thing - that 1% is cumulative. Any time there is similar work, that 1% accrues and accrues. Now lets find another improvement. Another 1/2% improvement. Now it accrues as well. 
  
-To put it simply it won't take long for these improvements to result in a significant improvement in the capability of the team to deliver. This is part of how a team becomes "more than the sum of its parts" and many pundits quote things like 2X, 3X and 5X improvements. Think about it this way, by "​reducing"​ the capacity of the team by one person (to establish a Scrum Master role), the overall team performance increase in multiples. That sounds like a pretty good investment to me.+To put it simply it won't take long for these improvements to result in a significant improvement in the capability of the team to deliver. This is part of how a team becomes "more than the sum of its parts" and many pundits quote things like 2X, 3X and 5X improvements. Think about it this way, by "​reducing"​ the capacity of the team by one person (to establish a Scrum Master role), the overall team performance increase in multiples. That sounds like a pretty good investment to me. See [[how_do_small_incremental_changes_result_in_big_improvements|How Do Small Incremental Changes Result in Big Improvements?​]] for more details on this type of thinking.
  
 To me I find it interesting that we are working to set up high performance teams, teams where the output is more than the sum of the individuals on the team but do not see a need for coaching. Now consider a sports team. How many successful sports teams do you know of that do not have a coach? Here's the thing. A coach on a sports team does not just worry about skills of the players but also worries about how they work together to meet their goal, on how to get better game by game, and so on so that the result is a team that transcends the capabilities of the individuals that make it up. In the same way, if we want a software team to be successful (more than the sum of it parts) then we also need to worry about more than just setting up meetings and keeping the tool up to date, and that is where the Scrum Master steps in. To me I find it interesting that we are working to set up high performance teams, teams where the output is more than the sum of the individuals on the team but do not see a need for coaching. Now consider a sports team. How many successful sports teams do you know of that do not have a coach? Here's the thing. A coach on a sports team does not just worry about skills of the players but also worries about how they work together to meet their goal, on how to get better game by game, and so on so that the result is a team that transcends the capabilities of the individuals that make it up. In the same way, if we want a software team to be successful (more than the sum of it parts) then we also need to worry about more than just setting up meetings and keeping the tool up to date, and that is where the Scrum Master steps in.
Line 39: Line 39:
   * [[http://​www.spikesandstories.com/​tips-to-be-a-successful-scrum-master/​|Tips to be a successful Scrum Master]] and [[http://​www.spikesandstories.com/​tools-successful-scrum-masters/​|Tools for Successful Scrum Masters]] by Tanner Wortham for a couple of excellent blogs posts that go beyond the tasks and look into tools and attitude.   * [[http://​www.spikesandstories.com/​tips-to-be-a-successful-scrum-master/​|Tips to be a successful Scrum Master]] and [[http://​www.spikesandstories.com/​tools-successful-scrum-masters/​|Tools for Successful Scrum Masters]] by Tanner Wortham for a couple of excellent blogs posts that go beyond the tasks and look into tools and attitude.
   * [[what_is_the_role_of_the_scrum_master|What is the Role of a Scrum Master?]]   * [[what_is_the_role_of_the_scrum_master|What is the Role of a Scrum Master?]]
 +  * [[how_do_small_incremental_changes_result_in_big_improvements|How Do Small Incremental Changes Result in Big Improvements?​]]
  
  
  • /home/hpsamios/hanssamios.com/dokuwiki/data/attic/what_does_a_scrum_master_do_all_day.1530221434.txt.gz
  • Last modified: 2018/06/28 14:30
  • by Hans Samios